Ready to make reading time with your children a real joy?
Experts agree that reading to our kids early and often makes a big difference in their lives. But the advice to “sit and read to your kids” is missing some vital information – like HOW to do it.
Typically, if we go looking for tips about reading to kids, we’ll find ideas like “point to the words as you read” or “help your child identify the letters on the page.” But no child learned to love reading because someone showed him how many “B”s were in a book.
As purposeful parents, we want to do more. We want to show our kids that snuggling up with a favorite book (and us!) is one of life’s great pleasures. We want to share the true joy of reading.
Our Sharing the Joy of Reading Kit was developed exclusively for Power of Families by Amanda Hamilton Roos, a veteran English teacher, mom of three, and passionate reader. The kit includes valuable information for parents (and grandparents) of children ages 0-12.
Included in the Kit:
This kit is built around brief and excellent videos which explain, in detail, and with real examples, how to “Share the Joy of Reading” with babies and toddlers, preschoolers, and grade-schoolers. (See samples below.)
2-Minute Overview Video:
Short Snippets from Other Videos in the Program:
In addition to the great videos, this program includes:
- Articles which explain in more detail some of the information presented in the videos.
- A step-by-step implementation plan that will help you put the great ideas presented in the videos and articles into practice.
- A printable bookmark with conversation prompts that you can tuck into whatever book you’re reading with your grade-schooler or preschooler.
- A printable “Reading Chair Reminder” with conversation starters that you can hang wherever you read with your younger children.
- A printable list of our all-time favorite books to take to your library so you can find the perfect book.
- “20 Tips For Creating the Joy of Reading” in your home. Some of these you may have heard before (Enjoy a book yourself), some are radical (Throw away your TV!), and all will get you excited about helping your kids learn to love reading and storytelling.
- BONUS: A “Telling Family Stories Brainstorming” worksheet and instructions so the next time your kids ask you to tell them a story about when you were little (or when they were little) you’ll be ready.
What are people saying?
“I have enjoyed reading to my kids for almost ten years and I still learned so much from this program! We always hear that we should read to our children, but this program does a great job of teaching us how. I’ve learned new ways to interact with my young readers of all ages. My kids especially love hearing stories from our past, so I loved the prompts for collecting your own family stories. I am excited to further strengthen our family’s love for reading as well as storytelling!” –Elsje Denison
“Just one day after starting this program, I was able to use what I learned as I read with my 3-year-old grandson. What a great time we had reading together!” –Anna Jenkins
“This is an incredible resource, not just from the standpoint of a deliberate mother, but also from a Speech and Language Pathologist’s understanding of the importance of literacy and the elements that contribute to it. This program targets metalinguistic skills, literate language skills, pragmatic and semantic skills that are so vital in reading and advanced literacy. These concepts are brought together in a joyful, playful and easy way that connects parent and child in a special learning connection. I love this resource and recommend it to parents for enhancing literacy skills in their children and for a joyful reading experience in general.” –Summer Stout-Bloyer
“The videos reminded me that reading is not just about getting the words read, but connecting with my listener (be it a bigger child or a smaller child). The videos supplied a good example of what I can do to improve my interactions and better engage my children as we read together.” –Amy Larsen
“Thank you so so much for this program! I read to my kids like crazy but I have really been needing some tips to make it more engaging and exciting.” –Sarah Keith
“I read a lot to my preschooler, but it wasn’t until I saw these videos that I realized how much more we both could be learning. I used to get impatient when he would interrupt me and ask, ‘why did he do that?’ or ‘what is that man saying?’ Now I realize these are great opportunities to connect, predict and clarify. Not only is my son engaging with books in new and exciting ways, but I have had the joy of witnessing it. Thank you for helping us connect to books and to each other.” –Michelle Roos-Aviv
For just $22 (less than the price of a couple nice children’s books!) this fun program will provide years of benefits to your family!
* NOTE: While the methods and ideas presented in this program will work well for most children, including some children with reading disabilities or other special needs, we acknowledge that every child is different and will respond in his or her own way. Be patient, try different things, and if you find that this program this program is not working for you, just let us know and we’ll be happy to refund your money within 30 days of your purchase. This program does not include material about how to specifically teach children to read; rather, it focuses on helping children get excited about books and reading so that they’ll be more motivated to learn to read when the time is right for them. (Just wanted to be clear…thanks!)
To make your purchase, simply click on the button at the top of this page to add this program to your cart, go to checkout, enter your payment information and you will be prompted to either log in to your existing Power of Families account or set up a new account (you need an account so that we can set you up for permanent access to your purchased materials).
Once your purchase is complete, you can access your new materials anytime by by selecting “MY PROGRAMS” from the drop-down menu under “MY ACCOUNT.”
*** Power of Families offers a 30-day no-risk 100% money-back guarantee. We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase! If you should happen to find that a program isn’t quite what you need, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a refund.